Monday 27 April 2015

MUSIC: Mi'das - Stronger EP

I was contacted about reviewing Mi'das latest EP 'Stronger'  - which is available on April 30th - and as always, I jump at the chance of listening to new music and hopefully becoming fans of more artists. Always the optimist when it comes to new artists that are brought to my attention, Mi'das hasn't disappointed. With a gorgeous soulful sound to his voice, it's powerful without becoming more like shouting which a lot of similar artists do. Mi'das, also known as Mike Davies, is pure soul and it's incredibly beautiful.
The opening track on the EP, 'Wish Road', I've found sounds rather different to the rest of the EP. It's a lot more haunting, especially his voice at the beginning of the track. I like the sound that's been created to make the song sound like an old vinyl playing as you can hear the crackles. It has that more vintage sound which I think helps with creating that old and haunting sound. It's a beautiful song and not surprising that he's releasing this as his first single off of the EP. It shows off a lot of his skills, such as the power in his voice and his range as well as his song writing. This was the first song I heard of his, and it blew me away, I was so impressed.

'Too Little Too Late' is one of my favourite tracks off of the EP. I like the opening the melody of the song and how it starts quite low and his Mi'das' voice is incredibly smooth and then it has this cool almost pop sound when it reaches the chorus, however, he sticks to his roots. The added use of a choir only helps create that true soul sound which I really love, it helps to create power and drama. The song also shows off his vocal abilities and his range which is rather impressive.

'Vienna' has a little more edgy, it's very much more a pop song and a feel good song. You cannot help but smile when listening to this song, which focuses on about discovering what makes you happy. It's a warm song which makes you want to dance around, it completely takes over your thoughts and makes you happy, at least that's what I discovered. His voice still sounds incredible with a taste of his soulful sound coming through. It's the fun track on the EP which I personally really love.

'Like You Did Then' slows things down for us. With an beautiful soft sound to his voice and the use of an acoustic guitar. It's everything I really love in music. The song demonstrates his fantastic song writing skills. The song, and Mi'das voice gave me shivers which is always a bonus. It's simple with mostly just the use of a guitar and his voice, but it has so much power and stands out. 'Like You Did Then' shows his vulnerability and that, to me, shows complete strength like the title would suggest. It's the perfect end to the EP, showing off everything that he does so well.

Mi'das sounds incredibly unique, in his style of music, there's nobody I can think of that sounds like him. It's like he's took the artists that influences his music and created a whole knew sound which makes him his own artist. He's very impressive and I have no doubt that he's going to go far. He's definitely made a new fan in me. Mi'das 'Stronger' EP is available on April 30th and I am highly recommending his music. He is a breath of fresh air and does soul music proud.

Check out Mi'das lyric video for 'Wish Road' below:
Let me know what song you're looking forward to hearing below.


No comments:

Post a Comment