Wednesday 11 February 2015

BOOKS: Miranda Dickinson - I'll Take New York

I'm going to admit that I have been reading Miranda Dickinson's 'I'll Take New York' for absolutely ages and not because I didn't enjoy it (I honestly, loved it) but with working over Christmas pretty much non-stop and it not really slowing down afterwards I've been getting into my bed and switching the light off immediately. However, I spent last weekend finishing the book and I loved every minute of it.

It's one of those stories that I feel like is going to stay with me. Every part of it created a vivid image for me, it was like watching a movie. The detail and the characters were so clearly portrayed. 'I'll Take New York' is designed as a second part to her 'Fairytale of New York' however, it can also be read as a stand alone story - which is how I read it - it's just some of the characters are the same.

The story follows Bea who meets Jake at a party, both having experienced pretty terrible relationship problems recently connect over their love of New York and make a pact swearing off relationships. I like how Miranda made Bea a strong female protagonist making it on her own in New York and I love the friendship she shares with Jake. Jake is also just a lovable character. The story is from both of these characters point of view which normally I don't like as it can get confusing, or I just like reading from one characters perspective. However, I was intrigued to read both of their stories as although they shared time together, I liked finding out more about both the protagonists past.

It's a great easy chick-lit read. I don't want to give too much away, I think if you're a fan of Lindsey Kelk or Sophie Kinsella you'll love this. As soon as I saw this is WHSmiths a few weeks ago now, I saw New York and had to pick it up (a girl can dream about going, right?) It was definitely worth the read and the story has lots of twists and turns, definitely a memorable one. I've also picked up 'Fairytale of New York' too, which I can't wait to read. Finally, I  liked at the end of the book, where she included a list of her favourite movies set in New York as well as a playlist of the songs that she was listening to whilst writing the book, which I just think adds to entire novel.

Have you read any Miranda Dickinson books before? What's your favourite.




No comments:

Post a Comment